Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Reality through media



Current TV is a station that deals mostly with viewer created content and short, documentary-style programming about unique things in life. Nothing is glorified, most things are unscripted, and the hosts are down to earth.

Current is one of my favorite stations and websites. I think it's meaningful and 'real' to me because most of the stories are about real people. The station shows every type of program, from news, popular culture, international conflicts, to cartoons. It has a little bit of everything, but is presented in such a way that I don't feel like anything false or that I'm being lied to.

The station has a sense of humor about life and the hosts reflect that. Brett Erlich hosts a show called Viral Video Film School, where he takes a not so serious approach to teaching people how to get that Viral Video they've always wanted.


2 comments:

  1. Cool! I didn't know about Current TV. These are great clips, and it seems both entertaining and informative. How is it that these forms make us feel like these are "real" and not constructed (even though they are)?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would say they make us feel this way because it's not exactly traditional media. It was created in our time and in our society so we trust it more to be real.

    ReplyDelete